Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chuck is on my Netflix also. Nerd goodness, but not scifi, right? I have such a long list, but I love how TV has evolved into this thing where you can do all of it as you're ready. I also think that TV is at a place where it is much, much better than the movies in general. The level of skill, storytelling, all that, is just so far above what you get at the movies.


BSG, the new one, is just amazing. There are slow moments, nothing's perfect, but wow. Firefly had enough good moments to keep me going through the whole series, and I really enjoyed it, and Nathan Fillion is my crush, but I can still see why it got cancelled. It just wasn't quite tight enough or something.


I don't know about the new Dune that you reference, but I have gathered that it spawned lots of follow-ups. You know me, I'm a bit purist, so I'm starting at the beginning with originals. I can tell you that the original book is good and I look forward to picking it up every time.


I try not to read much about Dune online until I'm done with it, but I came across some people who think that Star Wars is a ripoff, more than just influenced by Dune, and I can see what they're saying, but it still is totally a different story, and Lucas still had to come up with the characters and everything. It's more like the setting is the same with different names. The tones are different as well. I was a little disappointed that the Star Wars universe itself isn't original, since that's the backbone of a sci fi piece to me, but still, SW has its own merits.

No comments:

Post a Comment