Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Nickel Creek, again

I know I keep saying this, but I really like Nickel Creek. They are my default music when I need to chill out or when I'm driving. When I listen to Robin & Marian or Out of the Woods, I feel a mix of passion and chill, which, I like to think, is the balance I live in ('cause I'm a scorpio? well-rounded? grown-up? I don't know.). As far as I know, there's no sound like theirs, because there's an energy in the instruments and a sweetness to the vocals that I just can't find anywhere else. Yes, I've been exposed to the instruments of bluegrass (I come from a heritage of Southern musicians), sweet ballads in young voices, and some minstrel-ish storytelling reminiscent of the singer-songwriters of the 70s, but for every track on their eponymous first album, I instinctively smile and say to myself, "Yep, I LOVE this song. There's just nothing else like this."

Am I wrong? Is there something else out there that I should be liking, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment