Wednesday, March 25, 2009

And also, Emma Thompson.

I watched Blow Dry a while back. If you're looking for that Brit/indie feel and Alan Rickman, try Truly Madly Deeply. I watched it for the combination of him and Juliet Stevenson (she cracks me up). I'd have a hard time telling you how I feel about the movie without giving away some major plot points. Let's just say it made sense to me.


I feel the need to point out that Alan Rickman also played a part in my number one "movie to watch over and over". He played Col. Christopher Brandon in Sense & Sensibility, and that was the first time I had seen him in a role that wasn't, well, the Sheriff of Nottingham. His voice in that film just underlines the gentle strength of his character. He is, of course, brilliant. Also, that led to the satisfaction of seeing him paired with Emma Thompson again in Love Actually. Her part is my favorite; I still feel for her. In fact, when it comes to Emma Thompson, I love almost all of her parts. Even in Junior with Arnold Schwarzenegger, I find her charming. There's something un-glamorous about her that still resonates as disarmingly sophisticated.


I forgot to add Love Actually to my list, too. I love the movies that tie together different lives and stories into one cohesive story. (Like Things You Can Tell Just By Looking at Her & Playing By Heart, although neither of them are as brilliant as Traffic and Crash.) I've heard criticism of Love Actually being too cheesy at some points, but, honestly, I don't care. I love cheese in romantic comedies. Another little plus to this movie is that it features some of the best of British actors, most of whom have played in the best of Jane Austen movies: Keira Knightley, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, and Colin Firth.

(I agree with liking Alan Rickman for the name, too. I've always been fond of 'Patrick' and the Rickman sounds manly and sexy.)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I mentioned the Alan Rickman/S&S link in my comment on your entry. That was my train of thought. He was wonderful in that. I do remember thinking, "Wow," of him in that movie.

    I like those movies, too! I have Things You Can Tell Just By Looking at Her on my list, but haven't seen it yet. Did like Playing by Heart and Traffic. I liked Crash, but it was unsettling, too.

    And yes, Emma Thompson. I want to add to the Emma Thompson conversation "Dead Again." It's a little different, but I really enjoyed that movie. Emma Thompson does have something "unglamorous" about her in a very positive way. It's hard to find words to describe it, but yes, you did it!

    I will try Truly Madly Deeply, sounds like the vibe I'm feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ya know, Truly Madly Deeply is not available on Netflix right now. I saved it for the future. Do you happen to own it?

    ReplyDelete